011 - The Meadow.



During the summer, I had the pleasure of discovering this little piece of heaven, nestled away behind my house. I had always known that there were some pretty lush forests back there, but it wasn't until this summer that I actually got to experience them first hand. Another great surprise was the finding of a meadow that sat right in the middle of this vast landscape of trees. The meadow was full of six foot high grass, a giant rock wall and it always seemed to be the perfect escape from any sort of busyness in my life.

After my first experience at the meadow, I felt compelled to write a song about it. In the song, I tried to touch on the important realization that even the most beautiful country meadow, if in the right location, could be compromised in the race for property. I wanted to accept the fact that this beautiful meadow/forest area would soon be torn down in the name of real estate.

One morning earlier this month, I had noticed that some of the trees of that forest had been cut down, and after going for a quick walk, I came to see that truth first hand. Today, Adam and Shaina came home to see that there was a massive fire burning in that area. We figured we'd go for a walk and check out what was going on. A once dense brush has now become a desolate wasteland; the meadow was pure gray, with a road in its first stage. As Roper stood tall on that stump, watching God's beauty be destroyed so that some new mansions could fulfill some sort of "american dream" ideology, it was hard not to feel small.